If I pleaded guilty to a felony charge, would this prevent me from becoming a representative payee?

Sutherland, IA |

I am a single mom of a young boy with special needs who just was approved to receive SSI. Last year I pleaded guilty to a felony charge of possession of unauthorized article in state prison (cell phone) with intent to deliver to inmate. Time suspended, 2 years probation and $500 restitution with record sealed and expunged after probation of no further felonies (so far so good).

1. While your SSI benefits will not be affected by your felony, you will not be able to receive benefits if you are incarcerated for more than 30 days pursuant to a conviction.

I am unsure if your child would be able to receive those benefits during an incarceration.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

2. I do not believe this will prevent you from being a representative payee. It may mean SSA asks more regular questions, so be clear with them about what you can and cannot do with the money, and then keep detailed records and receipts.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.