If I pleaded guilty to a felony charge, would this prevent me from becoming a representative payee?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sutherland, IA

I am a single mom of a young boy with special needs who just was approved to receive SSI. Last year I pleaded guilty to a felony charge of possession of unauthorized article in state prison (cell phone) with intent to deliver to inmate. Time suspended, 2 years probation and $500 restitution with record sealed and expunged after probation of no further felonies (so far so good).

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Matthew Erik Johnson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While your SSI benefits will not be affected by your felony, you will not be able to receive benefits if you are incarcerated for more than 30 days pursuant to a conviction.

    I am unsure if your child would be able to receive those benefits during an incarceration.

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale... more
  2. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I do not believe this will prevent you from being a representative payee. It may mean SSA asks more regular questions, so be clear with them about what you can and cannot do with the money, and then keep detailed records and receipts.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,437 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,437 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering