If I plead guilty to dog at large with bite charge am I then admitting guilt for the bite?

Asked 10 months ago - Flagstaff, AZ

My dog was in a fight with another dog and the other dog's owner got bitten. I have a few reasons to believe that it is uncertain which dog bit him. If I plead guilty, will I still be able to talk to the judge about the uncertainty of which dog bit him?

1. Michael David Myers

Pro

8

Answered . Check with a local personal injury attorney about admissibility of pleas in civil actions. Also, turn the personal injury claim over to your homeowner's insurance carrier.

2. Michael Thomas Poulton

Pro

6

Answered . Pleading guilty to that specific charge will likely prevent you from contesting the claim of the bite in a civil case. It's a res judicata issue - admitting the bite in one court conclusively resolves the factual question of the bite in all other courts in the future. But why plead guilty to that charge if there is doubt as to which dog bit? That's reasonable doubt.

Pro

7

Answered . When I did criminal law years ago, I advised my clients to plead NOT GUILTY!

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . Pleading guilty is admitting the wrong; at least as far as I know.

5. Samuel Cohen

5

Answered . You need to speak with an attorney. If you have homeowner's or renters insurance, your insurance company should provide one. If you do not have such insurance see a lawyer before you do anything!

6. John Eugene Kelly

1

Answered . Well, I would certainly not plead Guilty to the charge. Bear in mind, in the State of Arizona, as it relates to dog bites, there is strict liability to the owner. If you plead Guilty, you are certainly exposing yourself. See the assistance of a qualified attorney immediately.

John E. Kelly, Esq.
    1 East Washington Street, Suite 500
    Phoenix, Arizona 85004
    (602) 283-4122
    jkphoenixpersonalinjuryattorney.com