If I pay off a ticket, can I avoid responding to a summons to Municipal court for failing to pay on a payment plan for a ticket?

Tomball, TX |

Ticket is a Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility in the state of Texas. I'm paying surcharges and during the process a I thought I had paid off my ticket already. The summons is for the ticket, not the surcharges which I'm paying on my final year. I really would rather just pay off the ticket and avoid court fees and possible additional fees due to an accidental lapse on this payment plan.

Call the Clerk of the Municipal Court. Verify that they have the ticket as paid.
Ask if you need to appear if you have already paid the ticket.

If he/she tells you that it has been paid and you do not need to appear, send a letter to the court telling them that this is what you were told. Ask them to let you know if any further appearance is needed.

If she either tells you that the ticket isn't shown as paid or that you have to appear, consult a local attorney right away.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin http://addbalance.com Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: http://addbalance.com/police.htm

Think of the Frankenstein Monster: "RRRH! Pay(same as 'fire') . . . BAD!!!!" (and fight . . . good, come to that!) It will be OCT in less than 12 hrs. Some homes already have their Halloween decorations (?) up around here. Sheesh!

BUT, levity aside, you have already made an ugly bed, and it's time to go lie in it.

If you've plead guilty (and more than 1, 10 or 30 - depending - days have passed) , the only real way out is to pay the fine and costs. Paying fines and costs is entirely seperate from paying surcharges and omni fees.

Paying fines may mean you'll have to pay MORE surcharges, depending on what the offenses (like no insurance, no driver;s license etc) were, but doing the one won't satisfy, or avoid, the other.

So, paying the fine does not extinguish the surcharges, and instead my increase them. But you can't renew your license, and may therefore be exposed to DWLI/DWLS charges as long as the surcharges are delinquent.

The same is true of any OMNI fees. If you had a deadline to pay fines and costs, but didn't do so in time, you may owe OMNI fees too! Such a deal!!

So: the bottom line? You are going to have to PAY (fines and costs] and PAY [surcharges per your agreement with The Department] and maybe PAY omni fees [paid AT the court, but TO The Department] too! I did say: 'such a deal', right?

Next time, when the lights go out on the patrol car/truck, and you are free to leave, HEAD DIRECTLY TO YOUR ATTORNEY'S OFFICE. Give him/er a chance to do you some good. [plus, that way, you can just trash all those letters you start getting! you'll already HAVE an attorney] Do not pass GO! Do not let the ticket blow out the window. You'll be glad you did.

This answer is in the nature of general information only and does not constitute legal advice or the formation of an attorney-client relationship.