If I pay a therapist, does it preclude me from suing for malpractice?

Mountain View, CA |

I owe a therapist some money, who I believe committed malpractice. The billing office is attempting to collect. I don't want it to go on my credit report that I did not pay a bill, so I am considering paying. If I do so, am I legally condoning malpractice, and therefore precluded from suing? The damages incurred go far beyond the amount owed on the bill. Thank you

1. I would suggest you consult with a local Mountain View attorney before doing anything. Contact one as soon as possible.

2. The fact you pay the bill would not preclude a malpractice suit and should be inadmissible, in the event it is allowed by the court, you can avert inferences by putting "paid in protest" in the ledger of the check. You may want to consult a medical malpractice attorney first they may be able to get the bill stayed, reduced or waived. You can find a qualified attorney on AVVO.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. You can still pursue a malpractice claim even if you don't pay your bill. Have a local malpractice lawyer order your medical records to review.

4. If you believe your therapist committed malpractice, why wait until they sue you over a bill. Be proactive. If you think you have a case, go to a local attorney who handles malpractice cases, and get his/her opinion. They will work on a contingency fee.