If I owe money on my student loan and its in default can I stop them from taking my income tax refund and make payment arrangeme

Cranston, RI |

nts with them can I stop them from taking my refund?

If it is a federal student loan and you are in default, then they have the ability to garnish your income tax refund. There is no legal manner in which you can prevent them from doing so. However, you may wish to speak to your lender in order to work out a payment arrangement. It is possible that they will consider not garnishing your income tax refund if you can come to an agreement. Nonetheless, you can't prevent them from taking the refund if they refuse to work out an agreement with you.

Answers submitted on Avvo's online service do not create an attorney-client relationship. They are submitted for informational purposes only. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt