If I owe $3500 in back child support from being unemployed, how much money should I try to take with me to court to avoid jail?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lincolnton, NC

I was out of work for over 6 months and am now working. My court date is in a few days. Support payments will come right out of my paycheck going forward but how much do I need to take with me to court so I won't have to go to jail?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alan R. Krusch


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Note that you could avoided the problem altogether if you had filed a motion with the court after you lost your job asking for a reduction until you became re-employed. It is a simple form you can get at the courthouse. Too late now to avoid the arrearage built up. To answer your question, bring as much as you can. Tell the judge you were unemployed. You will have to pay the arrearage but maybe the judge will allow you time to pay it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,555 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,555 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering