If I open my business now in 2013, then I decided to apply for the E2 in 2014, will there be no harm in my E2 application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Skokie, IL

Since I will exit (partners will take care of the business for the mean time),provided of course the business is profitable and I already put the needed investment (bank statements provided). I am coming to the US to direct/manage the business in 2014, would this be ok? Anyway my name will be in the business license and I will be paying taxes too...

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Best Answer

Answered . As long as you own at least 50% of the business, you can exit the US and obtain an E-2 visa in 2014.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Ok.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . The fact that you exit the US is not a factor.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . If your investment in the business pass the marginality and proportionality tests and you'll have "US workers" on payroll, you should be OK. You will also need a Business Plan for the next 5 years of operations.

An E-2 should be best filed with US consulate abroad, rather than USCIS, as I am sure your immigration lawyer has already or will explain to you.