Skip to main content

If I object to the magistrates ruling on a cpo is the cpo still in affect

Milford, OH |

I filed a cpo against my mother for my children and at the final hearing the magistrate threw it out I objected her decision... is her ruling stayed and is my tpo still good

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The temporary order was terminated with the decision at the hearing where both of you appeared
    You should contact an Ohio attorney to determine if you have any appeal rights

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

  2. It doesn't work in the negative. If a court refuses to do something, and it is appealed (or an objection is filed in the case of a magistrate) if a stay is granted, it doesn't force the court to issue an opposite ruling, it would only temporarily block a court ordering something in the affirmative. This can get a little abstract for people that don't deal in appellate practice or civil litigation regularly.

    Hopefully you have an experienced attorney who is familiar with litigating magistrate rulings and/or domestic relations family law. If not, find an attorney immediately to discuss your options. If the trial court denies your objection, you could appeal it to the court of appeals, but I would recommend doing this without representation from an experienced appellate attorney.

  3. no

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

  4. NO, you are not protected. But make it clear that you do not want to me contacted. If she continues to contact you, she could be charged with trespass for coming over. If she continues to call, it could be considered telecommunications harassment.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics