If I marry someone who is paying spousal support, does my income allow her to ask for more support?

Anaheim, CA |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

None

No. Your income is irrelevant to how much support your new spouse pays his/her ex. Family Code Section 4323(b) makes this point clear:

"The income of a supporting spouse's subsequent spouse or nonmarital partner shall not be considered when determining or modifying spousal support."

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Good Answer" button at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

2. No

Michael is in San Jose, California and can be reached at 408-295-4232 or at schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

3. No.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.