Skip to main content

If I marry someone who is not a U.S. citizen, will they become a citizen just by marriage? What if any paper work is involved?

Stockton, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Does this person I marry become an instant citizen or what right does this person have in California?

Attorney Answers 1


I assume that you are a US citizen. Your spouse would not automatically become a US citizen just because you get married. First s/he needs to get permanent residence (green card), and then s/he can apply for citizenship after a few years.

There are a couple of steps to permanent residence, and many forms to be completed. The process takes about 6-12 months, and varies by local office processing times.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics