Skip to main content

If I marry abroad do I have to go back to the U.S. to file the spouse visa or can it be done overseas where I got married?

Dallas, TX |

I came to the Philippines and got married. I don't want to have to leave her and go back to the U.S. to file the k-3 spouse visa. Can I file it in the Philippines?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. The I130 (a precondition to the K3) is filed in the States.

  2. The I-130 can be mailed to the US.

    Contrary to popular belief, the K-3 doesn't always make 'sense'. It is more expensive and doesn't save a significant amount of time ... as compared to just getting an immigrant visa in Manila.

    Talk to a US licensed immigration attorney, many of us use Skype for our consultations.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. You can certainly file the paperwork from the Philippines but it must be sent to the proper address in the United States. If you are willing to remain in the Philippines during the processing I recommend not using the K-3 option. You should consult with an immigration attorney to discuss then options.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I agree with my colleagues.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

  5. You can mail to immigrant petition to the lockbox (in Chicago or Phoenix - check the instructions carefully). Eventually, she will be interviewed in Manila. Don't bother with the K-3. From experience, it doesn't make much of a difference timewise.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics