If I marry a minor in South Carolina, can we live in VIrginia or do we need to be married IN Virginia?

Asked 7 months ago - 23056

I'll be marrying a minor in South Carolina, with full parental consent and assistance - we've known each other a few years - because her parents can't come up to Virginia. I know that being married allows us to have sex but will Virginia recognize that we're married or will they say that we need a VIRGINIA marriage license? I can't seem to find any info on this particular problem.

I should have thought to say this but we have NOT had sex yet, we wanted to wait till marriage. I figured I should head that question off early so you know statutory rape is not an issue in regards to pre-marriage activities.

1. Julia Jane Wills Ovando

1

1

Answered . The minimum age for a minor to get married in Virginia with parental consent is 16. So as long as she is 16 or 17, your South Carolina marriage should be treated with full faith and credit, meaning seen as valid because you were following the law of a sister state, and it would be accepted in Virginia.