If I marry someone who has a green card, how long will it take to get mine?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

If I marry someone who has a green card, how long will it take to get working permit and my green card?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . At least 2 years, unless the green card holder naturalizes and then elevates his/her petition on your behalf to spouse of a citizen. You will the get a work permit within 2-3 months and a green card within 4-5 months total, from the time of the "elevation".

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

4

Answered . Assuming there are no complications, 5 years. Do consult an experienced immigration lawyer for guidance.

3. Marc Aaron Asch

2

1

Answered . Spouses of legal permanent residents are currently waiting a bit more than 2 years after their partner files an immigration petition before they can go forward with getting a green card. See: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_...
    However, there are a number of things that could make getting a green card a more lengthy and difficult process. For example, if you entered the USA without permission and then stayed here more than 6 months without having any immigration status, you may need to return to your home country and stay there for 3 years or even 10 years before you can get a green card.
    Call a lawyer for a consultation. There are a number of questions a lawyer would need to ask you before they could give you advise that is tailored to your specific situation.