If i make lots of prints from my original copyright photos. How will i know that the prints are protected with copyright too

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tarpon Springs, FL

I would like to know that stuff

1. Pamela Koslyn

5

Answered . If you exercise your copyright right to reproduce your original work, that doesn't change your ownership and the protectability of your copyrightd work. reproduction is one of a copyright owner's rights. Others include making a "derivative work" of your original work, publicly displaying your work, and distributing your work.

An artist automatically gets what's called a "common law" copyright the minute a creative work is created but have you registered your photos for copyrights with the Copyright Office? If not, then you won't be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees if your photos get infringed, and those are powerful protective tools.

If you're serious about making your photography a business, you need to hire an IP lawyer.

2. Alexander Patton Montgomery

4

Answered . Your copies will still be protected. When you obtain a copyright in a work, you have the exclusive right to reproduce that work, distribute that work, display that work publicly, perform that work publicly, and prepare derivative works of the original. So, unless you give permission to someone else, you are the only person who may make a copy of your photos (subject to a fair use defense) and those photos are protected by the underlying copyright in the original work. See my article in the link below for more basic information on your rights as a copyright holder.

3. James Juo

1

Answered . Making copies of your photos is part of the copyright, and it does not affect the scope of protection. You may be asking about placing a copyright notice on the copies of the photos. A copyright notice usually includes a "c" in a circle, or the word "copyright," may be used, along with the date and the name of the person who owns the copyright to the work. For example, Copyright 2012 John Doe. Although not required, a copyright notice may be a deterrent against copyright infringement. Use of the notice informs the public that a work is protected by copyright, and may defeat a defense of innocent infringement.