If i make a statement that the defendant stole from me, or attacked me. do i have to be responsible to offer up the proof or the

Asked over 1 year ago - Floral Park, NY

to offer up the proof or the judge will ask fo r it. if the judge didn't ask and i didn't know to do it on my own because i thought i would be asked for it and received a judgment against me. what do i do? can they do this? don't they need to ask?

1. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

2

Answered . Your question is a little unclear. I suspect however, that you're under the assumption that our legal system functions like that of many European nations; i.e., that a judge or magistrate "investigates" the case and inquires of the parties involved. That's not the case here. In the US's adversarial system, one party has the burden of proof and each side presents their best case. The court is under no obligation to investigate a civil or criminal case.