If I'm waiting on a settlement check can my Lawyer give me a cash advance?

I just settled on an accident that I had 2 years ago, and I asked my lawyer if I can get a cash advance, so that I can catch up with some bills, and he told me that he couldn't do it, because it's against the law is there any truth to that?

Mount Rainier, MD -

Brandy Ann Peeples

Brandy Ann Peeples

Litigation Lawyer - Frederick, MD

I don't know of any express prohibition, but I believe it would be both a violation of ethics rules and unwise for your attorney to advance you your settlement fees -- especially prior to your attorney's fees and expenses being deducted.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

While it does not appear to be "against the law" there is no obligation for an attorney to advance a portion of the settlement to the client.

Frank A. Natoli

Frank A. Natoli

Business Attorney - New York, NY

He is correct. Your lawyer cannot lend money to clients, which is what you are asking him to do. They can only advance the costs of litigation under a contingency agreement.

Best regards,
Frank
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Disclaimer)