Skip to main content

If I'm planning to file bankruptcy, what do I need to do with Notice to the Judgment Debtor of garnishment of Property other wg?

Seattle, WA |

I received a Notice to the Judgment Debtor of Garnishment of Property other than Personal Earnings in the mail. What would happen if I ignore this letter since I don't have any real estate or cars or anything of value. I think I have few hundred dollars in my checking account. Also, do I need to call them and notify them than I am planning to file bankruptcy? Would that make them go away?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


just file the bankruptcy (hopefully with the help of a lawyer) as soon as you can, and notice them of that fact. That is probably the best way forward.


Payment or settlement would make a judgment creditor go away.
Telling them about your plan to file bankruptcy, is not likely to change the creditor's plans.
What response is requested by the notice you received? How soon before you file? Will you receive any other assets before then?

Your bank balance may be in jeopardy, as well as any non-exempt assets.
An attorney experienced in bankruptcy can review your financial situation to determine your assets, and your financial situation.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.


I would highly suggest you consider taking what money you have in the bank and put it in a safe place. If you have a job, these creditors seem intent on garnishing your wages. If they can find access to your bank account, they may be able to simply take the money out of your account. Ignoring this would not be helpful at all.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer