Skip to main content

If I'm on 3 years probation in New York but live in New Jersey can I move to Pennsylvania without being violated

Allentown, PA |

I check In monthly with the automated service and was charged with a dwi in New York now I want to move to Pennsylvania from New Jersey can I do so safely without being violated. If so will I have a physical probation officer or can I continue checking in with the automated service.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should be anle to move. Check with your NJ probation officer/ office and/or probation office in NY. I can't speak to the automated reporting aspect. NY is the state in control of your probation. NJ to this point and PA if you move are only servicing NY's probation. Should be no problem but you need to clear it in advance.


You need to check with your probation officer first and get their approval to relocate. These requests are routinely granted so long as you otherwise have been a good probationer. Your officer will decide if the monthly reporting will be in person or by phone. Get approval before you act.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


You can be violated if you fail to supply a new address and secure permission to move. Talk to a criminal defense attorney before doing anything .

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer