If I'm a minnesota resident and I lost my license in Wi for an Owi, but I work in wisconsin, is there anyway getting Wi occup.?

Asked over 2 years ago - Osceola, WI

can I get a wisconsin occupational if I work in wisconsin but am still a minnesota resident?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Were you revoked in Wisconsin for a Wisconsin OWI?

    Were you convicted or was it an Administrative action?

    Then Minnesota saw that and took license action?

    Do you have any Minnesota driving privileges?

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more
  2. Lawrence A. Newman

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult with both WI and MN DMVs. Often both DMVs (where you hold a license and where you had an OWI) have to be satisfied. Administrative actions in multiple states are becoming the norm on DUI/DWI/OWI cases.

    I sometimes call the DMVs and inquire about what they require of my clients to get privileges of any type. Second consult with OWI lawyers in both jurisdictions. I do both, because the DMVs have tremendous power and authority and it is not always clear cut.

    They may want:

    1. fines, fees, surcharges
    2. evaluation/assessment
    3. classes/programs/workshops

    Ask if one gives reciprocity for the other's DMV conditions of discharge being met and do they offer an occupational. Some states (DMVs) give credit for work done in the other state.

    If this was a refusal OWI some states don't recognize or give privileges just based upon the refusal.
    As my grandma used to say, "it doesn't hurt to ask," even for things that you may not get.

    Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., J.D. Attorney at Law Doctor of Chiropractic Licensed in NY, PA, NJ, & FL... more

Related Topics

License suspension for traffic tickets

License suspension is one type of traffic violation penalty, usually imposed for serious traffic violations or for repeated minor violations.

James Alexander Abate

Driving While Suspended 39:3-40

Driving is a privilege most individuals take for granted. If your license is suspended, you may not operate a motor vehicle. Too often I meet individuals who have their lives ruined because... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,698 answers this week

3,433 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,698 answers this week

3,433 attorneys answering