If I'm a felon and I need to know how can I become payee over my child social security check

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ideal, GA

When I went to prison in 2005 I gave my mother temporary guardianship over my kids so she would be able to recieve my son benefits and be able to enroll them in school, and take them to their docotor office. I came home in 2009 and tried to become back payee over my son benefits but social security denied me because I'm a convicted felon. My kids stay with me and its been that way since I came home from prison. My mother lives over 25miles from us and we have to wait for her every month before she comes and takes out what she wants because she feels I owe her from being locked up. Either way I have been trying and social security keeps denying me. I thought the benefits is suppose to take care of the child.

1. Ruthann P. Lacey

3

Answered . If you are a convicted felon then you will not qualify to be a Representative Payee. If the current arrangement is not working due to distance, then perhaps there is someone who lives closer to you who could qualify to be the Rep Payee for your children.

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

Pro

Answered . My colleague has given good advice. Sorry I cannot provide a different response.