If I'm a contractor, can the company I contract with ask for my correspondence upon termination of my contract.

Asked over 1 year ago - Bella Vista, AR

writing a 6 month contract with a company to do invoicing. They added the clause to ask for my correspondence, along with all their records.

1. Christopher Dewitt Brockett

Answered . I am not sure if you are stating the contract has already been executed or if you are negotiating a contract with the company for 6 months. If you have already executed a contract that requires you to provide the company with your correspondence then, if the contract is enforceable, then you would be bound by the contract. If you are still negotiating with the company, then it would not be a requirement, unless you execute the contract with that clause in it.

2. Paul C Jorgensen

Pro

Answered . Look to your agreement with the company. Usually, there is something there about what you develop or say when you are there remaining there after you leave. Unless there is some statute in your local area that protects your correspondence, you will likely have to turn everything over. If you are really concerned, consult with an employment attorney in your jurisdiction.