If i'm on disability are you suppose to get food stamps and medical coverage as part of the package?

Asked 12 months ago - Zeeland, MI

Because DHS says i make to much money part time as a school bus driver. My hours a week i work are 8 or 10. I get 9.23 an hour. I started collecting my disability in 2012 early spring. And a few months back this year they cut me off of food stamps and medical coverage. Thank you

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

4

Answered . What "package"? All of the pubic benefits you have named have separate eligibility requirements, and all have income limits. Income received through one program is counted to determine income eligibility for other programs. If your disability benefits are Social Security, you must be in pay status for 24 months before you will have Medicare eligibility.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . You need to apply for each program and make sure in inform them of the income you are receiving through SSI as you do not want to be accused of fraud.

3. Marc Aaron Asch

2

Answered . This Michigan food stamp calculator link may be helpful:
    http://www.foodstamphelp.org/food-stamp-calculator
    It wouldn't hurt you to submit a new application for these public benefits, providing truthful information about all your sources of income. If you are denied the benefit and you don't understand the reason you were denied or think that DHS has made a mistake, promptly contact Legal Aid of Western Michigan or the Center for Civil Justice to speak with one of their attorneys.
    Links to these non-profit organizations:
    http://www.legalaidwestmich.org/
    http://www.ccj-mi.org/

4. Vance Tate Davis

2

Answered . Your question has been accurately answered. I do want to add one thing to keep in mind about your benefits for your protection.

I hope that you can document that you have informed Social Security of this job and the income you are making. I say that because many, many people claim to have told SSA about a job only to find years down the road that they get hit with a notice of overpayment or a threat of termination of disability coupled with an overpayment claim. As a general rule, I always recommend that notices of income and/or employment to SSA be memorialized by a written letter sent to SSA via certified mail - return receipt requested and that the claimant retain a copy of the letter/notice as well as the signed green card receipt as evidence that someone at SSA signed for the notice.

I recommend keeping these documents in a safe and secure place FOREVER because I have seen overpayment notices going back as far as 15-20 years. A phone call to SSA is never enough because you will undoubtedly not be able to prove that you ever spoke with someone at SSA. Even where there has been a phone call, I strongly urge following that phone call up with a certified mail letter as set forth here.