Skip to main content

If I live in Washington and file a Petition to Remove the Executor in Arkansas, must I travel to Arkansas to attend a hearing?

Texarkana, AR |

I'm a beneficiary of an estate in Arkansas that is under heavy neglect by the executor who resides in Arkansas. I live in Washington State which is extremely far away. I wish to have the executor removed and want to file such a petition, but don't want to have to travel to Arkansas for anything. How may I achieve removing him without the extreme travel? May I appear by phone and if sho wil that likely severely reduce the chances of success? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Some courts allow you to appear by phone, but that is not the key to answering your question. If the executor is unrepresented by counsel and you believe you have a slam dunk argument and if you can appear by telephone, and if the amount in question is modest and you do not mind if you lose, THEN you can try to handle this on your own. (That is a lot of IFs). If the answer is not clear, then you should retain an attorney to assist you. That sends a message to the judge that you deem this matter seriously enough to take appropriate legal action. Doing otherwise is liable to get the judge frustrated and upset with YOU, which would diminish your chances of prevailing.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


If you have an attorney in Arkansas, ask the attorney. If you dont, you really should. If you dont plan on hiring one, call the court and find out if you can appear by phone. If not, you or an attorney need to appear on your behalf. Note, your question on phone appearance is a good one. Some judges dont like them. Also, if there are a lot a factual issues, those wont be resolved at the initial hearing. Again, you should contact a local attorney for assistance and representation.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.


Attorney Shultz is correct. If you retain an experienced estate attorney in Arkansas (as you should), then the attorney can appear at all hearings on your behalf. Not only that, but he or she will give you the best chance at success in removing the existing estate fiduciary. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer