Skip to main content

If I live in texas and my husband lives in oklahoma how do we get a divorce?

Waco, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

He has a girlfriend with a child of their own

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depending on how long each of you has resided in your respective states, you could each file in your own. A big factor might be if either of you own any real estate and where it is.


The fact hat you live in separate states is not an insurmountable problem. The problem is making sure it is done correctly. For starters, consult with a local attorney, and explain to him or her ALL that needs to be known in order to give you a proper answer.


You can file in Texas if you have lived in the state for at least six months.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer