If i live in miami and my ex-bf lives in new york and he was to take me to court for custody and i cant make it what can happen

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

i live in miami and he is taking me to court in new york i just got papers through a family member from the usps stating i must attend court on the 29 of july 2013, i cant make it i never got served hand to hand what can be done please help because he is harrassing me with texts and phone calls.... i have no way to get to new york on a short notice. He is also telling the court im a bad parent but with a good heart(what is that) and that im leaving my kids in harms way. can i countersue this man for defermation of charter?

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

4

Answered . I think that you should be less concerned with defamation of character (people can say anything in the context of a legal proceeding and it's privileged) and more concerned about the hearing in New York. You need to hire a New York attorney in order to help you address the service of process issue. You can call Paul Siepmann if you would like to hire a New York attorney. His phone number is 631-948-0362. Tell him that Bill Rosenfelt sent you. Good luck.

2. Carin Manders Constantine

2

Answered . Where is the Child? That is the key question.

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

1

Answered . Contact an attorney in New York to discuss your options and to see if the action up there is valid or not.