Skip to main content

If I legally change my name will my criminal record follow me?

Walnut Creek, CA |

Will my felony record stay with me if I legally change my name?

Attorney Answers 3


A judge might not let you change your name. The main reasons why a judge would not agree to change your name are:

-- If the judge finds that you are changing your name to commit fraud,

-- If the judge finds that you are changing your name to hide from the law or the police or for some other illegal reason.

If you are on probation or parole, the judge may not agree to change your name, unless your probation or parole officer is aware of your change of name and gives written consent. If you are incarcerated, the Director of Corrections has to give permission to the court to let you change your name.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful


Your record can follow you if you change your name. If it gets changed, it may slip through the cracks here and there, but your fingerprint is your identifying mark.

Mark as helpful


The main way criminal records are tracked are though fingerprints. Your new name would be linked to your current criminal record as an "a.k.a." or alias.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics