If I leave with my truck that was a gift from my husband to a dif state, can he file theft charges against me

Asked almost 3 years ago - Orlando, FL

He gave me the truck a year ago as a gift for mothers day

1. Juna Madray Pulayya

4

Answered . This is going to depend on several factors. You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya
    www.jmplawyer.com
    junior@jmplawyer.com

2. Wesley Kent Hill

4

Answered . It sounds as though you are heading for a separation or perhaps a divorce. I think it would be wise to discuss your situation with an attorney licensed in the state of Florida. I am not licensed in Florida so this is just my opinion and you should not rely on my advice.

As it relates to the truck, the first thing that I would consider is who's name is on the title. If your name is on the title then I think you would have every right to take it out of state. I would also want to know if there is a lien on the truck. If there is, you should notify the lender that the truck has been moved.

If the truck is titled in your husbands name, I would be little more cautious. If it is titled in the name of a business that he owns, I would absoutely not take it out of state.

It is doubtful that you would be charge with theft and you could argue that you have at least part ownership.

From a family law perspective, a move like this could exacerbate your problems and set off a chain of events that could be avoided.

Again, I urge you to talk to a local attorney before taking an action. Best wishes to you.

3. Perry L. Cameron Jr.

2

Answered . It would not be a theft if the truck was given to you. However, more facts would have to be ascertained as to whether the truck is marital property. You should consult with a family law attorney for any possible ramifications.