If I leave my home and leave my son behind while I figure out options, can I be charged with neglect/abandoment?

Muskego, WI |
Filed under: Divorce

Our 13 yr son and husband have been verbally abusive towards me for quite some time. I have moved to an apartment to protect myself. I have not filed anything yet. I live in Wisconsin. We own a home and have been married 18 years. Thank you!

I am sorry to hear of your situation. You should hire a local experienced divorce attorney to represent you. Divorce is a complicated legal proceeding. Leaving the house is not considered abandonment but might effect placement and custody decisions in the long run. Again, I think it is important you get legal advice as soon as possible about how best to prepare for divorce.

Disclaimer: Answering this question does not create an attorney client relationship. It is not legal advice.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce