Skip to main content

If I leave my home and leave my son behind while I figure out options, can I be charged with neglect/abandoment?

Muskego, WI |

Our 13 yr son and husband have been verbally abusive towards me for quite some time. I have moved to an apartment to protect myself. I have not filed anything yet. I live in Wisconsin. We own a home and have been married 18 years. Thank you!

Attorney Answers 1

  1. I am sorry to hear of your situation. You should hire a local experienced divorce attorney to represent you. Divorce is a complicated legal proceeding. Leaving the house is not considered abandonment but might effect placement and custody decisions in the long run. Again, I think it is important you get legal advice as soon as possible about how best to prepare for divorce.

    Disclaimer: Answering this question does not create an attorney client relationship. It is not legal advice.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics