If I leave home at age 17 and live with a friend's family, can my mother force me to come home?

Chicago, IL |

My mother knows this family very well and she knows where they live and all their contact information. She would know where I was at all times.

yes, she can.

even if I am above the juvenile age range?

what would be the procedures?

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

you are a minor, a child, until you are 18. until then, you are under the control of your parents or legal guardian. mom could go to the police and ask help in getting you.

Yes, your mother can make you come home. If she is willing for you to go live with the other family, a guardianship must be created to protect the family as well as to give them the authority to act as your parent.

Yes. At 17 you are not of legal age to make that decision. If she agrees she can go to court and agree to a guardianship from her to the adults. Your boyfriend cannot be your legal guardian. Yes she can force you to come home. You could file for legal emancipation. Go talkto a lawyer about that possibility. Better yet go home. You have not alleged any neglect or abuse. Parents deserve your respect.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Based upon these facts alone, the asker will not qualify to be deemed an emancipated minor.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

I know that is why I told her to go talk to a lawyer to see if that is a goal she can work towards.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody