If I lease my home to my daughter, can she claim a homestead exemption on property tax in Michigan?

Asked over 5 years ago - Michigan

our home is in Michigan. We are thinking of moving out of state, and know we would no longer be able to claim a homestead exemption. If we leased the house to our daughter, would she be able to claim the property tax exemption ?

1. Kenneth V. Zichi

Answered . If you LEASE, no. Selling it to her on a land contract would qualify her to claim the exemption but there are lots of possible tax and other ramifications to either of these courses of action.

I'd strongly suggest you consult with a real estate attorney in your area to walk you through the pitfalls and avoid problems!

2. Kenneth V. Zichi

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now