If I Is there a way not to install the ignition interlock device in my car?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Islip, NY

My NY license has been revoked for 6 months,the ignition interlock device shall be installed for 12 months,if I don't have and will not be driving any car for 6-12 months,will they still install IID after that time passes.I was sentenced to a conditional discharge for one year.Please help.Thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It should not be installed after the 12 months. If you don't drive, it should not have to be installed.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  2. Michael J Palumbo


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will be installed as per the condition of your sentence.

  3. Christopher Irvin Simser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As noted above, if the Court has ordered you to install the IID, you must do so on any vehicle you own or operate. If you do not own or operate a vehicle, this provision does not apply to you. If you own a vehicle, even if you will not be operating that vehicle, it must have the IID. You may, however, transfer ownership of that vehicle to another. But you may not operate that vehicle, or any other vehicular, that is not equipped with the IID during the period the Court has ordered. You should review all of these regulations with your attorney as quickly as possible. If you pled without an attorney, spend the money to sit down with an attorney experienced in DWI defense who can review these regulations with you. Operating a vehicle without an IID is a crime and can subject you to serious additional penalties.

    Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street, 2nd Floor
    Syracuse, NY 13202

  4. Guy W Bluff


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If you will NOT be driving for months 6 to 12, return your driver's license and ask to have a State ID issued instead. Then, there will be no claim that you should have had the ignition interlock device installed. After the 12 months, get your license re-issued. As you have worded your question, you should not have to have the interlock device installed in subsequent vehicles.

    Attorney is Licensed in Arizona, California, and Colorado only. The opinions and comments offered are in the... more

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Ignition interlock device

A person who is convicted of DUI may be required to have an ignition interlock device installed in his or her vehicle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,181 answers this week

3,151 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,181 answers this week

3,151 attorneys answering