If I inherited a house from my deceased mother , and only MY name is on the deed, if I divorce is my husband. in titled to it?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Spanaway, WA

I live in the state of Washington, and am going through a divorce. The house was left to only me, we were married, but just my name is on the deed

1. 8

Answered . Inheritances are exempt from the community property presumption--that would be your separate property. But keep in mind that the divorce court considers all property, community and separate, when making a determination about what outcome will be just and equitable. Talking with an attorney about the details of your case will give you a better idea of what sort of division you might be able to expect.

2. 4

Answered . Attorney Forrest is spot-on with her analysis. Inherited property is separate property, but in a divorce the court looks at all property to determine a just and equitable division.

3. 4

Answered . THe house should be yours. Inheritance is separate property. If remodeling was done, improvements made or money pulled out in a refinance, you may have given you spouse some rights. You need to discuss that with a family law attorney.