If I import european children's clothes (from different manufacturers), can I change the labels to MY OWN label?

Asked about 1 year ago - Boston, MA

Is it legal to remove the "brand label" of the items i'd be importing and replace them with my own label?

I don't think this qualifies as "knock off" because I am giving it my own (albeit unknown) brand and the manufacturers I'd be buying from are small independent outfitters in europe and latin america.

Can they sue me?

1. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

5

Answered . To be clear, you need to be careful that you do not misdescribe the country of origin.

That said, if you are buying from manufacturers that are in the business of wholesaling generic product it is unlikely that swapping out their labels will matter to them, but it certainly can. That is, if they are the source of the product technically you would be infringing (we call that passing off).

The easiest way to remedy this kind of situation is to simply enter into a white label agreement with them whereby they make the goods understanding that you will be placing your own brand on them as is the case with most of the stuff we buy. They may be able to label everything for you as well. Alternatively, an at a min, get it in writing that they give you permission to remove their labels. They should not have a problem with this.

You may want to discuss all your objectives and options over with a lawyer in more detail. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . It is absolutely forbidden without the consent of the manufacturer/exporter. If you are buying wholesale or retail from the suppliers, your business model won't work anyway.

3. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

2

Answered . Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Will they win is another question.

If you purchased an item from the manufacturer and relabeled it as your own, the manufacturer would not have a legitimate trademark claim against you, because you are not selling the product with their mark on it. But why not just tell the manufacturer in you are doing this and get their consent in writing? That would reduce your exposure.

Even if you are not infringing on the manufacturer's IP rights, that doesn't mean you are insulated from liability if the manufacturer's product infringes on the IP rights of a different manufacturer.

Importation of goods from another country, especially in the fashion realm is not simple. You would be best served contacting an attorney in you area to advise you on the specifics.

4. Daniel Nathan Ballard

2

Answered . Q: "Is it legal to remove the "brand label" of the items i'd be importing and replace them with my own label?"
    R: No. That's called "reverse passing off" under trademark law and is unlawful.

5. Kerry Blasingim

1

Answered . Absolutely, they can sue. This is called "reverse passing off"; it's you trying to build a brand identity by selling their products with your label. Trademark law protects the relationship between a brand or product name and the actual product; it does not simply protect a logo or phrase in isolation from how it's used. Therefore, whether you take the trademark and put it on your goods (passing off) or take their goods and put your logo on them (reverse passing off) you are violating the rights that are protected by trademarks.

That said, trademark rights are not international and, if these companies do not currently have mark registrations in the US, they would have some difficulty pursuing you for your illegal actions. Until they filed for mark protection here, that is. At that point they would get to beat you with the money stick until all your pennies came out.