If I hire a neighbor to mow my lawn and uses my mower/equipment and is injured, am I liable for his injuries?

Farmington, CT |

I have a neighbor who owes me money, but rather than ask for cash, I want to suggest that their son mow my lawn for a couple months instead. However, they rent, so they don't have a mower or any tools. I'm concerned that, if something happens to their kid, I'll be held liable. I take care of my equipment, but I'm also no professional, so I don't want to be considered responsible for any "maintinence neglect" either.

if there is a serious injury to your neighbor you would not be able to certified the maintenance of the equipment nor the training to the user. My thought is that the risks outweigh the benefit especially if the son is minor.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Generally speaking, you're only going to be responsible for something stemming from negligence, for example, if you fail to warn him of a hole in yard that he breaks his ankle in, or if your equipment is poorly maintained and somehow injures him in a way that can be traced to your own fault. I know of a person who fractured his finger trying to start a pull-cord mower, raising question of a design defect, which would not be your fault. If the kid stuck his hand under the blade guard and cut off a finger, that's his own fault. You might want to make sure these folks have medical insurance in case something does happen, then maybe make a simple agreement with them that you will pay $x for his services and he's understood to be an independent contractor and that you won't be responsible for injuries.

You had better bump up your homeowner's coverage.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Recommended articles about Personal injury