If I hire a defense lawyer to defend against a DWAI, should I tell him what I told the cops or the truth. As a result of the

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

arrest I complied to a urine test. I told the cops I hadn't smoked marijuana, taken xanax (illegally) and taken adderal (illegally) about 24 hours prior to the arrest. Should I tell my lawyer that I actually took them about 12 hours before the drug test if I want him to argue the contrary? Would it matter that at the police station before the drug test I drank about 10 large cups of water because I couldn't pee?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

9

Answered . You need to tell your lawyer the truth and let him figure out how to work with that as part of your defense.
    Not telling your lawyer the truth can lead to problems down the line.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Yefim Rubinov

9

Answered . You should be always truthful with your lawyer...if you need a lawyer then I can recommend one

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

8

Answered . Your lawyer ethically prohibited from assisting you in perjury. He or she could be disbarred and also criminally prosecuted.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . Tell the lawyer both.

5. Marco Emanuele Fava

5

Answered . It is very important that you tell your attorney the truth. I can not stress this enough.

6. Joseph Paul Petito

Pro

3

Answered . I would have to support the above answers. Truth is the best way to go. It is extremely important that your Attorney know both the good and bad aspects of your case, so that he/she can properly defend you. Moreover, your attorney is a direct representation of you. If he goes to the DA with untruths, that will only come back to hurt you.

One or more answers have been taken down.