If I hire a defense lawyer to defend against a DWAI, should I tell him what I told the cops or the truth. As a result of the

New York, NY |

arrest I complied to a urine test. I told the cops I hadn't smoked marijuana, taken xanax (illegally) and taken adderal (illegally) about 24 hours prior to the arrest. Should I tell my lawyer that I actually took them about 12 hours before the drug test if I want him to argue the contrary? Would it matter that at the police station before the drug test I drank about 10 large cups of water because I couldn't pee?

You need to tell your lawyer the truth and let him figure out how to work with that as part of your defense.
Not telling your lawyer the truth can lead to problems down the line.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Your lawyer ethically prohibited from assisting you in perjury. He or she could be disbarred and also criminally prosecuted.

You should be always truthful with your lawyer...if you need a lawyer then I can recommend one

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

Actually you cannot do that.

Tell the lawyer both.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

It is very important that you tell your attorney the truth. I can not stress this enough.

I would have to support the above answers. Truth is the best way to go. It is extremely important that your Attorney know both the good and bad aspects of your case, so that he/she can properly defend you. Moreover, your attorney is a direct representation of you. If he goes to the DA with untruths, that will only come back to hurt you.

DUI court topics