If I have visitation for my son, am I still allowed to attend extracurricular activities like baseball games?

Charleston, SC |

The other parent signed our son up for sports that conflicted with my visitation schedule and insisted on altering our schedule to allow it. I conceded so my son can enjoy the activities. Now he is insisting that if I attend any games I am using my visitation time to do so. He also ignores every phone call I try to make to talk to my child. I feel like he puts forth a great deal of effort to minimize my time with him and minimize my interaction. Can I do something about it since technically he is not breaking any court order?

Without knowing more I would say that attending a game that happens to fall on the other parent's weekend does not qualify as a day of visitation against you. If you take your child to practice/game and he shows up it shouldn't count as a day against him either. Sounds like you may want to talk with a family law attorney who can examine your Order and determine if there is a violation of the Order and they can help file a Rule To Show Cause.

The answer really depends on the language of your order. Sometimes, the family court frowns upon one parent signing a child up for activities that conflict with the other parent's time. If you are showing up on days to watch that are not your days, then the answer is no - you are not using up your visitation time. As to the phone calls, that too depends on your order. Having said all that, you may be able to take the matter back to family court to alter your order to address these issues/conflicts, to revisit the parenting schedule, and to provide for a telephone schedule too.

I have attached a link for you to download my free book on divorce and family law in South Carolina. I think it will give you some insight on the issues you are facing with the other parent.

This response is for informational purposes and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The attorneys of Futeral & Nelson, LLC practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the law firm of Futeral & Nelson, LLC may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. The lawyers of the Futeral & Nelson, LLC are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site or the linked sites without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.