If I have to study abroad for about 4 yrs, and I am on Green Card, what should I do to prevent my GC being lost? Thanks

Asked over 1 year ago - Edison, NJ

is there a way to remain out of the country for beyond 2 years on study/education purposes? Is there a process or procedure to obtain approval or exemption so that my Green Card is not revoked.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kristina A. Gasson

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are interested in preserving your permanent residence for naturalization purposes, you can file Form N-470. I would recommend getting your U.S. citizenship as soon as possible to avoid the worry of losing your green card. Feel free to contact me for more information.

    www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement... more
  2. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You need to apply for a reentry permit that is valid for two years. It serves as the best evidence that you did not intend to abandon your status. You will need to be in the US when it is filed and to later do the biometrics. Two years later you will need to return to renew. You can also look at an N-470, but it sounds like you might not qualify based on the bit of information that we have here.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at:... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,323 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,323 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering