If I have someone who is recommending me to contact a medical malpractice attorney for a surgery done on my back.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kissimmee, FL

I am seeing a very well known and respected surgeon. He is urging me to get a malpractice attorney for injuries done during my surgery. (How do I know who to contact) and how long do I have. I am in severe pain and would like to find someone in the Orlando area?

or Jacksonville area.

1. John Michael Phillips

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . We would LOVE to review your file and help you. We will come to you to review your case. You have 2 years from the time of the malpractice or from the time you had reason to know of the defect.

You have a civil suit for damages. In Florida, there are 3 aspects to every personal injury suit- liability, causation of injuries and damages. Liability is the hurdle in malpractice cases, as you have to have one doctor say another breached the reasonable standard of care. However, your doctor's opinion is strongly in favor of that.

That caused you losses, so that is clear. Injuries were suffered, so that isn't an issue. You can recover for past and future medical bills, pain and suffering, inconvenience, mental anguish, as well as lost wages and lost earning capacity.

We handles cases like these all over Florida. Check us out at Knowthelawyer.com. Research your lawyer carefully. You want someone that will represent you personally with experience in personal injury cases. Insurance carriers are fighting cases, so it takes a lawyer that is familiar with the changes in law and is aggressive the courtroom.

Feel free to email any further questions. Free consultations.

2. Robert John Sunner

2

1

Answered . I agree with the previous answer, asking someone you trust for an attorney recommendation is a great way to find an attorney. The decision may seem a little daunting with so many internet websites at your disposal.

Here is the Florida's statute of limitations for medical malpractice:

FL Stat 95.11 (4)(b) - An action for medical malpractice shall be commenced within 2 years from the time the incident giving rise to the action occurred or within 2 years from the time the incident is discovered, or should have been discovered with the exercise of due diligence; however, in no event shall the action be commenced later than 4 years from the date of the incident or occurrence out of which the cause of action accrued, except that this 4-year period shall not bar an action brought on behalf of a minor on or before the child’s eighth birthday.

Hope this helps!

Robert J. Sunner
    The Sunner Law Firm
    150 W. Warren Ave.
    Longwood, FL 32779

3. Charles B. Upton II

1

1

Answered . Selecting an attorney is an important personal decision, and there are numerous ways to find someone qualified to handle your case.  You can search this site and other Internet sites.  Recommendations from people you trust is also a great way to find an attorney.  Good luck!