If I have sole legal and physical custody do I have a say if a parent can take a 6 year old hunting?

Fort Wayne, IN |

The child is currently 6 years old. I personally do not agree with hunting, but if it is going to happen I want it to be at a more appropriate age.

You can certainly tell the other parent that you do not want the child to go hunting at this young age. If there is nothing in the divorce decree or paternity order precluding it, enforcement of your request may be difficult. If the other parent refuses, you may need to contact an attorney and seek a modification of your order precluding this activity until the child is older.

The answers provided are for informational purposes only and shall not be considered legal advice on your specific fact situation. If you would like information specific to your particular fact situation, please feel free to contact me directly.

We currently have an order stating that he is not to have guns around the child due to a CPS report for "accidentally" shooting the child in the head, because he "did not know it was loaded". He has also had past Domestic Batteries, but has some how found a loop hole to where he can still have a gun. However, he is trying to fight this. Is there anything related to having Sole Legal Custody that Hunting is a part of his upbrining?

Larry David Stassin

Larry David Stassin

Undef those circumstances I believe you are well within your rights to disallow this activity. if he insists, take it to court, the safety of your child may be in issue. l Legal custody means he only has input into major issues such as religion, education and medical treatment. it has nothing to do with hunting.

He only has parenting time. He does not share any form of custody. I just thought that given the circumstances, and that I have full legal and physical custody that I should have a say in it as far as the court is involved.

I agree with Mr. Stassin. It really depends on whether there is already a clause in the parenting time order. If not, you will need to contact your attorney to file for modification if an agreement cannot be reached.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Burtonap@aol.com (219) 836 2200