If I have sole legal and physical custody do I have a say if a parent can take a 6 year old hunting?

Fort Wayne, IN |

The child is currently 6 years old. I personally do not agree with hunting, but if it is going to happen I want it to be at a more appropriate age.

1. You can certainly tell the other parent that you do not want the child to go hunting at this young age. If there is nothing in the divorce decree or paternity order precluding it, enforcement of your request may be difficult. If the other parent refuses, you may need to contact an attorney and seek a modification of your order precluding this activity until the child is older.

The answers provided are for informational purposes only and shall not be considered legal advice on your specific fact situation. If you would like information specific to your particular fact situation, please feel free to contact me directly.

2. I agree with Mr. Stassin. It really depends on whether there is already a clause in the parenting time order. If not, you will need to contact your attorney to file for modification if an agreement cannot be reached.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Burtonap@aol.com (219) 836 2200

Child custody topics