If I have just applied to F1 (student visa), can I cancel the request and apply to an immigrant visa?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Oak Brook, IL

I am already in the USA and I hold B2 visa .I have applied for F1 visa a couple of days a go but I realized after that I am qualified for Asylum visa. so I would apply for immigrant visa .can I cancel F1 request and apply for the immigrant visa or it's better to wait until hearing from immigrations services about F1 visa then apply to the immigrant visa?
thank you

1. C. C. Abbott

5

Answered . The fact is that application for asylum does not provide you with immigrant status. If you apply and you are out of status by the time the asylum officer determines your application (and if it is denied), you will receive a NTA for immigration court to be deported. It is wise to maintain status outside of the asylum application such as a F1 or other nonimmigrant visa. You should contact an experienced immigration attorney who can examine the facts of your case and provide you with a legal opinion as to what immigration benefits you may qualify for under existing law. Good luck.

2. Suzan deSeguin-Hons

4

Answered . You should consult as soon as possible with an experienced immigration lawyer who handles asylum cases.

In cases where an individual has a strong asylum case and where , based on country conditions and the individual's situation, it is not foreseeable that the individual will be able to return home, I frequently advise the individual NOT to maintain non-immigrant status. Why? Because, if the asylum office does not approve the case, I and the asylum applicant have agreed that we want the opportunity to present his or her case to the immigration judge. However, that depends on the circumstances of the individual case. There are other situations where I would advise maintaining a lawful non-immigrant status. As Mr Abbott has pointed out an opportunity to present your case to an immigration judge means you are in deportation or removal proceedings.

Asylum is a difficult process and, overall, denial rates are quite high. Therefore, if you do have an alternative to asylum, you need to consider your options carefully and the totality of the risks involved. Be aware that there is a one year deadline to applying for asylum and, even though there are exceptions to the one year deadline, none of those exceptions are automatic.

Again, I will stress that you need to discuss your case with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Mark Davidson

Pro

2

Answered . The first thing is that DHS often moves quickly to check the status of F-1 students who fall out of status. It may interrupt your asylum case. The second thing is that asylum cases are rarely a certainty so you should discuss with a qualified attorney the likelihood of success and the ramifications if you lose so that you may choose what option best fits your goals. There are conservative and aggressive ways to approach this subject. You need to be careful.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . There is no such thing as qualification for Asylum Visa. You may apply for Asylum but it is not a visa but a privilege. You may file for an Affirmative Asylum within 12 months of your arrival IF you have statutorily recognized merits. Remember, the Service has penulties for filing frivolous asylum claims. In such instance you will be precluded for any future immigration benefits.
    It appears that you are a bit confused regarding your status. Please invest in your future by consulting a good immigration attorney who will advise you on your options.

5. Eugene J. Glicksman

2

Answered . Mr. Abbott is correct. Applying for asylum is not the same as being granted asylum, as can be seen from the statistics for applications vs. grants. As Mr. Abbott pointed out, staying in lawful status should be of prime importance. Speak with an experienced immigration attorney for expert advice and a thorough review to find out whether you actually qualify for any immigration benefits.

Good luck!

6. Khaja M. Din

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Abbott. Having said that please seek out an immigration attorney to evaluate the strength of your asylum claim before withdrawing any petitions.

Khaja M. Din, Esq.

www.dinmemmen.com

Din Memmen Law Firm
    (312) 361-8462

4518 N. Kedzie Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625

Free Consultation For Your Immigration Law Questions