Skip to main content

If I have insurance coverage for my personal vehicle and wanted to rent a car, would my coverage transfer?

West Orange, NJ |

In other words, would I have the same coverage with the rental as I would with my own vehicle? I would like to rent a car for someone and wanted to know if they would be covered under my insurance since they live with me and have no insurance of their own. This would be permissive use... so is it safe to say that the individual could be covered too?

Attorney Answers 4


I rent cars with my Amex that covers rental cars so ii don't have to buy insurance. Call your insurance company just to be safe.

Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree




I was just wondering if coverage would be there for any drivers other than myself- with permissive use...

Martin L Bearg

Martin L Bearg


If YOU or a person who is also insured under your policy rents a vehicle, it is usually because your vehicle is being serviced and is off the road. If you are renting this for another person, who is not insured under your policy, you are adding an additional vehicle and a separate premium must be paid, but it will be at a discount, and the vast majority of insurers give discounts for having homeowners, multiple vehicles and an umbrella policy with it. As my colleagues have indicated, check with your insurer.


I always advise my clients to purchase the additional insurance unless you are 100 % sure by calling your insurance carrier that you will be fully covered. Call your carrier and then decide with the details they provide you!

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


This question is more suitable for your insurance provider.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with the responding attorneys. You should contact your carrier.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics