If I have HYTA Status, do I need to disclose the information of my case on a Visa Application Form for studying in Japan?

Asked over 1 year ago - Farmington Hills, MI

The questions concerning me on the form are "Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense in any country?" and "Have you ever been convicted or sentenced for a drug offense in any country in violation of law concerning narcotics, marijuana, opium, stimulants or psychotropic substances?" I was put on probation following my trial for a misdemeanor drug possesion. I completed probation without any problems. Because I was "sentenced" on probation, does that apply for the second question?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You were convicted of a drug offense.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It appears that the correct answer to both questions you list is "Yes." I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney and provide all court records regarding all relevant incidents.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. C. C. Abbott

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Are you asking for purpsoes of Japanese immigration law? If so, you should contact a lawyer who is able to comment specifically on the laws of Japan. Their determiantion of what a alternative sentence such as HYTA could be different than that of US immigration law.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,055 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,055 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering