If I have HYTA Status, do I need to disclose the information of my case on a Visa Application Form for studying in Japan?

Farmington Hills, MI |

The questions concerning me on the form are "Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense in any country?" and "Have you ever been convicted or sentenced for a drug offense in any country in violation of law concerning narcotics, marijuana, opium, stimulants or psychotropic substances?" I was put on probation following my trial for a misdemeanor drug possesion. I completed probation without any problems. Because I was "sentenced" on probation, does that apply for the second question?

You were convicted of a drug offense.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

It appears that the correct answer to both questions you list is "Yes." I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney and provide all court records regarding all relevant incidents.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Are you asking for purpsoes of Japanese immigration law? If so, you should contact a lawyer who is able to comment specifically on the laws of Japan. Their determiantion of what a alternative sentence such as HYTA could be different than that of US immigration law.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Recommended articles about Immigration