Skip to main content

If i have had a warrant for almost 2 months because medical reasons like hospital visits and deaths in family kept me from court

Baldwinsville, NY |

I had a warrant issued for not appearing in court due to being in hospital due to many health problems and i'm always sick n doing tests and seeing specialists and to top it off had to bury my aunt on christmas eve . Now i have proof to show the judge but am afraid if i go to court he wont care or give me a chance to explain my absence and he will put bail on me and i have no money to get out and with my health being bad am unsure what to do . can anyone give me advice

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Get an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately to go to court with you to vacate the bench warrant. Waiting is not in your favor. Bring your lawyer all the proof that you have.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  2. Unfortunately, it can only be resolved by showing up to vacate the warrant. Showing up voluntarily gives you a better chance of being released than the cops picking you up!

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  3. You have a better chance going to court voluntarily than the police bringing you in if they catch you.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. Your best option is to contact a local attorney who can communicate with the Court and attempt to present your equities to the Judge. In addition, depending on the stage the matter is in, an attorney may be able to update the Court on a proposed resolution or the merits of the case which may ease the Judge's frustration with the delay due to you failure to appear.