If i have child support arrears, can i get a downward modification?

Asked 9 months ago - Mineola, NY

my ex-husband is $66,000 in arrears with child support and now after 8 years is filing for a modification. does he have to pay off the arrears before he is awarded a downward modification?

1. Erach Farrokh Screwvala

2

Answered . The arrears will not prevent a downward modification. Have you sought enforcement of the arrears? If not, you should consult with an attorney to file a cross-petition for payment of the arrears.

2. Philip Adam Kusnetz

Pro

1

Answered . There are many factors that the court would consider before granting your former husband a downward modification, but "paying off" the arrears is not one of them. In fact, paying the arrears would seem to confirm his financial means and lessen the chances of his receiving a downward modification. You have various enforcement remedies of your own, such as filing a petition seeking to collect the arrears. I recommend that you retain an attorney.

3. Marco Caviglia

Pro

1

Answered . No. But he will not obtain forgiveness for his arrears.

4. Matthew William Hoffmann

2

Answered . Consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction specializing in family law. He will have to show a number of facts to obtain the downward modification.