If I have been questioned about a crime and have been told that the DA will proceed with charges, do I get a lawyer now or later

Asked over 1 year ago - Eau Claire, WI

I can't afford a lawyer buy would like to talk to one about this so I know what to expect and prepare for.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael C. Witt


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Now would be better than later, but if you are unable to pay one, the public defender will not evaluate you for representation until charges are filed. In the meantime, stop talking to the police.

    This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the... more
  2. John Scott Swimmer

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a lawyer. I have had several experiences where clients have hired me before charges were filed and we have been able to prevent the charges from going forward.

    This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as... more
  3. Scott S. Schlough

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Lots of lawyers will consult with you initially for free including myself. The two things you should do right now is speak to some lawyer about your rights and stop talking to the police. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you can always contact the Public Defenders Office. They can special qualify you if you have not been charged but are being questioned by police. I suggest contacting some attorney right now about your rights because it may take the Public Defender in Eau Claire a little while to get you an attorney if you qualify for representation.

  4. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . get a lawyer now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,897 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,897 answers this week

2,996 attorneys answering