If I have been convicted of 3 DUI in 5 years, is there any way at all to get a work permit driver license? How long?

Dallas, GA |

There is possibility of apeal to request new trial. I just need to know exactly how long I will have to wait until I can drive again. My PREVIOUS attorney has completed dropped the ball on me.

No. You will be deemed a habitual violator. There was a change in the law this year to allow a permit for second DUI convictions, but you will have a hard suspension on your third conviction.

If you have any further questions about this or any other topic, please feel free to call me at 404-923-0446. All initial phone calls are free. By answering this question, there is no established attorney/client priviledge with Rohan Law, PC. Therefore you cannot rely solely on this information to form the basis of a legal opinion regarding your rights and responsibilities. If you believe that your case requires additional attention, you should contract an attorney to represent you directly.

So how long will I have to wait until I can drive again? Is it worth filing the appeal and request a new trial? The "third" DUI is a result of my child being in the car with me=child endangerment.

Douglas Brooks Rohan

Douglas Brooks Rohan

I believe it is for a full 5 years. A DUI is one of the most complex cases in the criminal justice system and not one that can have specific answers posed and answered on the internet. You should speak with an attorney about the details of your case, though if you have already been convicted, the costs increase and the likelihood of success decrease, compared to hiring a lawyer at the outset.

I'd certainly suggest giving your attorney a call. He or she will be in a much better position to answer your questions than any of us. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

You should probably send them a letter letting them know that you are surrendering the house in a bankruptcy.  Tell them you do not yet have notice of a pending foreclosure, but anticipate one in the next few months.  Tell them they do not have to send you any more rent, and that you will forward any foreclosure notices directly to them.  Tell them that they should consider this letter a 30 day notice of your intention to break any lease or tenancy interest they have in the property.

Robert M. Gardner, Jr.
HICKS, MASSEY & GARDNER, LLP
53 W. Candler Street
P.O. Box 721
Winder, Georgia 30680
Telephone: (770)307-4899
Facsimile: (770)868-1209
Email: hmgrmg@yahoo.com
Website:  gadebtlaw.com

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Sorry, I am not sure how this answer got pasted, as it is completely off topic. What I was going to say is that you may be looking at a hard 5 year suspension. If your attorney has dropped the ball, you need to take all of your paperwork, including your sentence and a copy of your motor vehicle report, to another attorney and have them look at it to see what your options are. Motions for new trial are not granted often, and if you plead you would be looking at a motion to withdraw your plea, which is granted even less often.

I agree completely with Mr. Rohan. I write separately to say that, if you think you have grounds for a new trial, you need to act fast before your appellate rights are time barred. YOu only have 30 days from the date of your conviction to file a motion for new trial or notice of appeal. Therefore, if this time has not already expired, you need to act quickly to preserve your rights. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399

After being declared a habitual violator your license will be suspended for 5 years and you will possibility be able to get a,work permit after 2 years with the installation of an ignition interlock and full filling several requirements . Contact a lawyer after you get closer to the 2 year suspension period

Traffic tickets topics