If I have an e-commerce store listing products from several manufacturers, can I use those manufacturers' logos on the website?

Asked about 2 years ago - Columbia, SC

If I have an e-commerce store, listing products from several
manufacturers, can I use those manufacturers' logos on the website?

OR can those manufacturers take action against me / my store if I don't have
some sort of written approval?

Screenshot of homepage with logos:
http://goo.gl/gwaI6

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

3

1

Answered . The manufacturer can take action against you -- specifically, a trademark infringement lawsuit. Many manufacturers, however, have a "trademark use policy" [sometimes on their websites, sometimes sent to their distributors] that informs re-sellers how the manufacturer's name and trademark may lawfully be used. For each manufacturer try to track down its policy. If you find it, follow it. If you don't find it, call or email the manufacturer and ask whether it has one. If it does, get it and follow it. If it doesn't, ask to speak to their marketing or legal department to discuss your potential use of their logo. That last step is best done, of course, by a trademark attorney. Good luck.

2. James Juo

Answered . Use of the logos might be considered fair use under trademark law (so no permission or license would be required), but the devil is in the details. Manufacturers also are often very protective of their logos and any perceived misuse of their brand or false association (especially if they have an authorized dealer network). Some manufacturers publicize what each considers to be acceptable and unacceptable uses of their logos and marks. Context is often important. In general, the more prominent the use, the more likely the manufacturer will object without prior approval. A trademark attorney can help give you guidance, but the manufacturer (or a judge or jury) ultimately may not agree whether a given use is fair use or an infringement.

3. Maxwell Seaton Felsheim

Answered . I agree with both my colleagues. And would add one caveat to the "Fair Use" discussion. Fair Use is a defense to infringement, which means you will be sued before you can ever assert it. It is usually always cheaper to seek a license from the trademark owner.