If I have an assault & battery misdemeanor charge sealed or expunged in VA, is it possible to do the same in another state

Winchester, VA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

About 4 and a half years ago I was charged with domestic assault and battery in Frederick County, VA, and then 2 and a half years ago I received a second degree assault and battery charge in Washington County, MD. In the first charge I was issued a fine, which I paid. In the second I was on probation for 6 months, and was required to take a class..which I completed. I am currently under pressure by my boss to have my record expunged or sealed, because it is disabling me from receiving a promotion. Is it possible to have my Maryland record sealed if I do the same in Virginia?

I don't think you are going to get the Virginia case sealed and I am sure you won't be able to get it expunged. The expungement statute does not authorize the court to expunge a conviction. I am not sure about Maryland but I doubt it. Good luck with this.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
Geno Law Firm
Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-691-GENO (4366) Office
703-691-4774 Fax
info@BrianGeno.com Email www.NovaAttorney.com Web