If I have an agreed order regarding custody, can I file for a modification at anytime?

Atlanta, GA |

If I have an agreed order, not a court order, can it be modified at anytime, or do I have prove a change of circumstance? I no longer think our agreed order meets our child's best interest.

You have said that it is "agreed", but not that it is a court order. Your question is confusing, because if the Court has not adopted and incorporated it, then it isn't an "Order". You can modify, but it takes a two-year minimum from the first child custody ORDER entered, after the first modification.

The information contained in this electronic communication and any documents or other files attached to and accompanying this transmission may contain information that is legally protected, including legally-privileged attorney-client confidential communications. The information contained in this electronic communication and any attachments thereto are intended only for the express attention of the recipient named above. The authorized recipient so identified is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless expressly permitted to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited, and may give rise to legal sanctions. If you have received this information in error, please immediately notify Merlinus Monroe at 678-450-9743 and take action for the return or destruction of this communication. The website of Merlinus Goodman Monroe, LLC, and the receipt or use of information contained therein or accessed thereby is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor does the act of sending an email to Merlinus Monroe or soliciting his opinion without a binding Attorney- Client Agreement in place create an attorney-client relationship. Users of this site should not act or refrain from acting based upon information obtained from the website without also seeking professional counsel and legal representation regarding the specific facts and circumstances at issue in their individual case. This user does not accept, nor may this e-mail address be used for, electronic transmission of service of pleadings or process. All pleadings and process must be served physically, by either personal service or by mail delivered to Post Office Box 2686, Gainesville, Georgia 30503.

Your question as posted can't be answered. You say you have an "agreed order" and then say you don't have a court order. Both statements cannot be true. Which is true? Which isn't?

If there is a court order, you may or may not be able to modify it depending on when it was done and the reason for a change.

If there is not a court order, then there is nothing in place about custody at all and there is nothing to modify and you'd be filing a case from scratch.

Either way it is absolutely essential that you get a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

There is no such thing as an "agreed order". If there was an agreement reached pursuant to a court action and the agreement was signed by a judge, then it is a court order. You can modify the court order by filing for modification as long as you qualify for modification. If there was an agreement reached between you but no court action was ever initiated/resolved, then you have an unenforceable agreement. You would have to file to initiate an action (as there is not yet anything to modify).

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody